An electronic publication of Survivors And Victims Empowered May 7, 2013
Ft. Hood sexual assault prevention coordinator accused of “abusive sexual conduct”…
A soldier assigned to coordinate a sexual assault prevention program in Texas is under investigation for “abusive sexual contact” and other alleged misconduct and has been suspended from his duties, the Army announced Tuesday. CBS News story here
Just last week an Air Force officer who headed a sexual assault prevention office was himself arrested on charges of groping a woman in a parking lot.
The Army said a sergeant first class, whose name was not released, is accused of pandering, abusive sexual contact, assault and maltreatment of subordinates. He is being investigated by the Army Criminal Investigation Command. No charges have been filed.
He had been assigned as an equal opportunity adviser and coordinator of a sexual harassment-assault prevention program at the Army’s 3rd Corps headquarters at Fort Hood, Texas, when the allegation arose, the Army said.
“To protect the integrity of the investigative process and the rights of all persons involved, no more information will be released at this time,” an Army statement said.
The back-to-back Army and Air Force cases highlight a problem that is drawing increased scrutiny in Congress and expressions of frustration from top Pentagon leaders. Pentagon press secretary George Little said after Tuesday’s announcement that Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel is angry and disappointed at “these troubling allegations and the breakdown in discipline and standards they imply.”
Ariel Castro calls himself “coldblooded”, admits abductions…
During interrogation with police, Ariel Castro, the man charged with kidnapping and raping three women over roughly 10 years, referred to himself as “coldblooded,” addicted to sex and unable to control his impulses, WKYC Channel 3 News has learned. USA Today story here
With exacting detail, Castro recalled the abductions of Michelle Knight, Amanda Berry and Gina DeJesus, explaining how he met each victim and even what he was wearing that day, according to sources.
Berry, 27, and DeJesus, 23, were abducted in separate incidents almost a decade ago. Michelle Knight was 22 when she was snatched from the streets in 2002.
The 6-year-old girl born in captivity to kidnapping victim Amanda Berry is the daughter of kidnapping and rape suspect Ariel Castro, Ohio Attorney General Mike DeWine said Friday.
Preliminary DNA test results confirm Castro’s paternity, DeWine said in a press release.
The state’s Bureau of Criminal Investigation worked through the night to process a sample of Castro’s DNA received late Thursday afternoon, DeWine said. The DNA was compared to other profile’s in the state’s database, but did not match any other Ohio cases. The FBI will now run the sample through its database to determine whether it matches any national cases, DeWine said.
In other news…
According to the FBI, one of every four women in the United States will experience some sort of assault by a boyfriend or husband during her life. Although domestic violence is often a silent crime, some victims bear permanent reminders – tattoos – that demonstrate how their abusers regarded them as little more than property. FindLaw story here Domestic violence is now known to have a wide scope. It broadly includes anything done against a person’s will in the confines of a relationship between a victim and an assailant. It includes a wide variety of criminal acts other than physical assault. Anyone can be a victim: spouses, sexual or intimate partners, family members, children and co-habitants. Increasingly common has been forced tattooing, usually by men against women. One New York teenager experienced this form of domestic violence when she was 14-years-old. With the help of her own boyfriend, four men raped her and tattooed her boyfriend’s name on her neck using a needle and pencil lead.
The Vatican says the Scottish cardinal who resigned as archbishop after admitting to sexual misconduct will leave Scotland for several months of prayer and atonement. FoxNews story here Cardinal Keith O’Brien recused himself from the March conclave that elected Pope Francis pontiff after a newspaper reported unnamed priests’ allegations that he acted inappropriately toward them. O’Brien subsequently acknowledged he had engaged in unspecified sexual misbehavior. He resigned as archbishop of St. Andrews and Edinburgh, apologized and promised to stay out of the church’s public life. On Wednesday, the Vatican said O’Brien, once Britain’s highest-ranking Catholic leader, had decided in agreement with Francis to leave Scotland for several months of “prayer, penance and spiritual renewal.” A statement says his future arrangements would be decided on in agreement with the Holy See.
David Finkelhor, Director of the Crimes Against Children Research Center at the University of New Hampshire and a researcher for the National Incidence Studies of Missing, Abducted, Runaway, and Thrownaway Children, has an oped in the Washington Post on the five biggest myths about missing children. Washington Post story here In order, they are:
- Most missing children have been abducted by strangers.
- More and more children are going missing.
- The Internet has made kidnapping easier.
- Prevention lies in teaching children to avoid strangers.
- The main goal should be to reunite children with their families.